Thursday, November 6, 2008

Slim Civil Rights Movements

I'm sick. Both physically and, I guess, mentally. By no means am I anorexic (and this isn't denial of any sorts), but I do think that I have a mental problem concerning food that I need to deal with. On a good day, I eat two full meals a day. On a regular day, I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, chips and cheese for lunch, and maybe macaroni and cheese or whatever leftovers are in the refrigerator. I'm unintentionally starving myself because either A. I don't want to spend money on food or B. I don't to invest the time it takes to make and/or eat the food. I'd much rather hang out with friends, play games, study, or do a million other things than eat. Here's the thing I can't wrap around my head: I love food, and I want to be healthy, but I don't do either. I don't eat enough food, and I especially don't eat healthy food. The last time I REALLY worked out was before summer. I feel sloth, I feel wasted, I feel busy. Take my advice: don't stretch yourself too thin (physically and responsibly). Don't do too much. Do what you can, and put forth all your efforts into those one or two things because when you do too much, you end up doing mediocre in all things and never excelling in any. A person can only give give give so much (agape), they must also receive, have that time for themselves, reflect and have fun (eros). I use the time that I could be spending eating by having fun instead because in my mind I'm either TOO BUSY or TOO LAZY.

I was disappointed to see Proposition 8 passed, but it is relieving to see that people aren't just going to accept it. People deserve basic human rights that presented to them regardless of their orientation. A lot of people will contest that it's a religious issue, or because the bible said so. Now keep in mind, the Catholic Church will not be marrying gay or lesbian couples anytime soon, regardless of the law (separation of Church and state), but if gay couples were to marry in a court of law, or any other way of marriage recognized by the state of California, they would be granted the same rights as straight married couples (there are over 1500 benefits that gay couples do not have in Civil Unions). So as a Proposition, it remains a secular issue, not a sacramental issue, and if your moral convictions against gay and lesbian couples get in the way, think of it as you're denying someone of the rights that YOU as a PERSON are entitled to. Civil Rights movement of 2008.