Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I Think We're Going to Need a Bigger Boat

Though tonight was a good night, it turned out to be one of the scariest in my entire life. I have never seen it rain so hard, or at least never this hard as long as I've been driving. Never in my life did I wish I had my old car back as much as I did tonight. My tiny little 150 lb Toyota Tercel hydroplaned like a toy boat on my super scary trip home from Irvine. I knew it was going to be scary the second I got onto the 73 and started hydroplaning. I called up a friend to ask if I could stay the night, but she didn't answer. I became angry at myself for not being upfront enough to ask Ace or Charmaine and Lene if I could spend the night. I really wanted to, but I didn't want to show them how scared I was.

Well I made it home safe, as you can see I'm writing this blog...but the scariest part of my night was when I got off the freeway and started driving on the surface street home. When Ace called to checkup on me to see if I made it home ok, I decided to answer because I thought I was home free. I had just gotten off the freeway and I couldn't remember forseeing any dips on the way back that would be flooded. Well there were no dips, but there was a fuckin 200 yd lake in between Trask and Garden Grove Blvd. I for sure thought that was going to be the end of me. Either my car was going to stall in the 8 inch deep water, or it was going to hydroplane into the curb (I could not see the curb or the lanes so I just drove on the bumps in the middle of the lane). I thank God for protecting me on my way home, but I saw others on the side of the road that weren't so lucky. So many accidents :( I'm very glad I prayed before leaving UCI and am glad I put my trust in God. Gotta learn from St. Peter what it means to walk on water, amiright? ;)

On the flip side, Liwanag and Improv were great. I kinda felt bad that we didn't get to hang with the alumni afterwords. I kinda felt that I stole Ace, Charlene, and Charmaine with me (it must be because I'm white. We steal things (there's a Improv reference there that only those three will get)) ;)

I found another quality that I want to embody, and that is Brenton's attitude towards others' ambitions, decisions, and even when they say they can't hang out. Brenton makes them feel that it's totally ok, and that they're gonna have a great time doing whatever it is they're doing. For example, I told Brenton I wasn't going to be able to make it to Norm's after Benefit Concert. He asks why, and I tell him that I'm going to my friend's birthday bowling party. Instead of saying "Aw man, come on, you gotta come." and things along those lines that would make me feel bad, he says, "Dude that's so cool. You'll have a great time." and starts asking questions about the bowling alley, or maybe we should go do that sometime. He makes you feel so welcomed and positive and not like you're flaking out. I want to develop that trait and make people feel the same way =D