Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Earthquakes and Autobots

3rd night in a row flossing. I'm doing good. I think plaque will be scared of me in no time =)

Tonight we saw a mutha effin' TRANSFORMER rolling down Beach Blvd! So here we are (Mike, Law, Ace, Camila, and I) ready to leave Starbucks while talking about how fucked everyone is going to be when the San Andreas fault hits (more on that later) when all of a sudden we see like 6 cop cars block off the street. We start getting worried and Mike says that we should get out of there. The cop tells pedestrians on the sidewalk to start making their way into the parking lot. I'm thinking, oh shoot, there's either gonna be a police chase or a shooting. Boy was I wrong. We see this flashing yellow lights and a HUGE monstrosity slowly turning onto Beach from Chapman. It was huge, like the size of Starbucks itself, only taller. It was a giant, oddly shaped metal box with the letters AMERICAN MINING on it (but we all know that's just short for "All hail Megatron"). Pretty cool/freaky thing to see at 10:30 at night. It was almost as if the cops were protecting it from an attack, like the kind you see in the movies.

I pray that the San Andreas fault doesn't hit in our lifetime, or that science can find a way to eliminate it. Anyone who knows anything about earthquakes or geography knows that the San Andreas (running straight through South Orange County) is one of the biggest fault lines on the planet. They are these two tectonic plates just grinding against each other and it hasn't shifted (causing an earthquake in a long time). From what I remember from my Geology class 2 years ago, we are overdue when it's supposed to hit, and when it hits, it's going to be BIG. Anyone who's old enough to remember the Northridge earthquake, knows how big that one was. San Andreas will make that one look like baby food. I don't mean to scare you, but I mean to prepare you. I don't ever plan on buying a house without checking if it lies on a fault line first, and I hate to say this, but a lot of homes in South County are going to be destroyed. Mike was telling me that most deaths won't result from the earthquake, but from houses and buildings collapsing and landslides (all those hills are going to be ok =/) and I would have to agree with him. I don't plan on buying a house past the 405 in my lifetime, but I pray for the safety of those that do. Who knows when it's ever gonna hit. Hopefully never.

With that positive note, I bid you goodnight =P I'm going to go register for my classes now. Family Night tomorrow! I hope it's as legit as we planned it to be.