Tuesday, June 10, 2008

LifeTeen Opportunity

Well looky what we have here: the Youth Minister at LifeTeen is leaving for a higher position at the diocese of Los Angeles. What does this mean? It means that there is an opening for a youth minister position (paid I might add) at St. Columban. I know what you're thinking: What does that have to do with me? Well it has nothing to do with you so forget about it, but for me it represents opportunity, vocation, and challenges, but also loyalty. I had a very unusual conversation with my dad last night when he and my mom told me that Sergio was moving on and that the youth minister position at LifeTeen would be vacant. My first reaction to this was, "Ah man, now I have to go back there and establish another relationship with a different youth minister." But then my dad subtly threw another possibility out there. What if I applied for the youth minister position at LifeTeen? There's many reasons for me NOT to go. I have a very limited experience in serving as a majority leader in my youth group. I do not have a youth minister's certificate yet. I would be leaving my group at Guiding Light and probably my job at Boys and Girls Club. Would my friends think I've betrayed them? Would I be able to handle the pressures of being a full-time youth minister, ministering to young adults and guiding them in their faith? Would I be able to follow the rules of the LifeTeen administration? We I be exposed to something I don't want to be exposed to? These are a lot of reasons why I shouldn't apply for the position, regardless if I would even be qualified or not.
But what about reasons for applying? Possible LifeTeen help with my schooling. I might be in a position to gain higher contacts and help my parish of St. Polycarp. I would be bringing the faith to young adults in a way they may have never experienced it before. I could create more events in conjunction with St. Polycarp and increase its prestige. But most importantly, I would be in a position to be a leader, to grow in my faith, and share that with anyone who would listen. I think that's a great thing, but wouldn't I be able to do that anyway at St. Polycarp?

This is something to reflect on pray upon. I ask that you pray for me too. Its not something I'm seriously considering, but if this is what I'm called to do by God, let me follow without hesitation. Let me listen to His words and Lord, let your will be done.

On a different note, I'm sooooo glad summer is coming for Boys and Girls Club. Even though its going to be hot as hell, there are going to be less retarded "gangster" kids to deal with =P Man here comes the boys of summer, and we're about to tear it up. Have fun =)