Sunday, August 10, 2008

Shine Like the Son

Remember the best feeling you've had in your life? Multiply that times infinity and you have God (Chuck Norris once counted to infinity...TWICE!).

Welcome back from the Guiding Light's 7th Annual Retreat. Did you have fun? I sure did? Met new people, grew closer bonds with existing friends, and strengthened my relationship with God even more. It's becoming easier and easier to trust in Him as the weeks go on. I know that eventually I'm going to run into some speed bumps, some narrow roads, broken bridges that I'll have to cross, but I pray that I remember this feeling...and times it by infinity. I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to minister to my friends and youth group at my parish, blessed to have been part of this strong retreat team and being one of the M.C.'s on this retreat.

Something that really stuck out to me this weekend was humility. My biggest vice is also my greatest strength: confidence. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between cockiness and confidence, and sometimes my confidence gets in the way of how I perceive people and how I compete with them. I realize that my confidence is a gift from God, not to be misused, but to be used with love and focus and for God (to give it back to Him). It's funny because I was humbled this weekend. I started the retreat trying to run it by myself. Kirsten and I were the co-M.C.'s but we were still feeling each other out and not really knowing where this direction was going to take us. After talking with Kirsten more and giving her the opportunity to be the beautiful person she is in front of everyone, I was humbled. I discovered that I need not do this by myself. I need to trust in my fellow neighbor (Kirs) and trust in God and know that everything will be okay. I'm lucky to have been given so many gifts (I feel very blessed). I know that if I don't use these gifts for the people around me with the love of God (or if i don't use them at all) I am offending God by placing a golden fortune in a dark corner to gather dust.

I got the opportunity to read the letters written to me in my mailbox (Japanese food-to-go box) and honestly a lot of the letters surprised me. I was reminded that I'm not just "somebody," I'm Steven Michael Forton as all the letters were addressed to in one form or another. ;) I was told of how inspiring I was to the authors of these letters, how much I have helped them, how my enthusiasm for God is "infectionate," and I was honored. I felt that last year I was much more spiritual AND fun through the words I said as M.C., but this year I feel I have touched people in a different way, through my actions. I'm not going to give myself too much credit as it is God working through me (surrendering yourself helps). I think it is St. Augustine who said "preach the Word of God everywhere you go...and if necessary, use words." I try to be a model of Christ just as I see in every one of my brothers and sisters on this retreat. So if I'm inspiring to you, remember this: I'm trying to be a reflection of all the best things about you, a reflection of God's love.

I want to HUGELY thank the speakers from this retreat, and especially to Law who coordinated the themes for the talks. EVERYONE gave amazing talks that complimented each other and the Eucharist so well, and I can honestly say that they were the best assembly of talks that I have ever heard in my LIFE (no jokes on the hearing please =P). I pray for those who weren't able to make it on the retreat this weekend. Know that you were a priority in our prayers.

One last thing I would like to leave you to always remember from this weekend. Prayer is a powerful thing. It's a tool given to us by God to communicate with Him. How do you grow in your relationships? Through communication. How do you communicate with God? Through prayer. Your friends and family are there to GATHER with you and show you the love, SON. You've got to be attentive and LISTEN to everything around you SON. You've got to PRAY SON or else how do you get to know God? You've got to RECEIVE SON and let go and let God (come in), surrender yourself, your possessions, if necessary, give permission to God to take all of those away. You don't need them when it's only you and Him. SHINE LIKE THE SON, and don't forget that whether you know it or not, you embody Christ to those around you.