Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My first Manuscript for Love, Exhaustion, and Self-Realization

I've been wanting to write a script for a very long time: a play, a movie, a comedy, a drama. I'm not sure what I want to write, but an inspirational friend just challenged me to write a script about love: a feeling of exhaustion but restlessness. Can I do it? Will I finish it? An inside joke we say around GL is "I hope my body can take it." =P But I kinda feel this way right now. I've never really written about love without hiding it inside of a poem, or without making it explicit. Will I be able to hide my personal biases while writing about such a personal topic, or will I make them the focus of the story? The biggest thing I'm scared about is digging into past emotions to write, something I really don't want to go back to. I don't want to make a fictional story so personal that it offends those closest to me, and I also don't want to cry while writing this. But maybe it's something I should do. Maybe I should bring everyone a deep story that will touch their emotions and relate to their lives so much that it makes them take a step back and reexamine themselves. I just hope that writing doesn't take an emotional toll on me. Time to let my guard down and write:

.Brainstorming Time.

Love: pain, physical, joy, happiness, dependency, friends, sex, red, pink, heat, unconditional, conditional, lies, trust, ideal, deceit

Setting: park, bench, rain, snow, summer, august, school starting, apartment, mansion, pool, tennis, beach, waves, icecream parlor, 50s diner, roller skate rink, las vegas, fight night, bicycle riding, church, restaurant, car, bedroom, concert/show

Players: girl, boy, friends, enemies, rivals, bully, nerd, adults, boss, parents, priest, garbage collector, homeless man, homeless child, prostitute, business man, angel, satan, tough man, barmaid, principal, police officer, football player, soccer player, mentor, teacher

When: 50s doo wop, ww2, cold war, wild west, eastern europe, rome, 90s los angeles, present day fictional city, future, gangs of New York, day, night, dinner, lunch, one week, one month, one year, 10 years, one day, outside time, before and after

What: basketball game, football game, school dance, poker tournament, underage party, classroom (test), drive-in movie, going to amusement park with friends, bon fire, birthday dinner, going to the zoo, thrown out of the house, losing job, addiction to drugs, funeral, feeding the homeless, going to mass, getting into a car accident, killing a person, cheating, getting into a fight, doing stupid things when drunk

Why: Trying to impress friends, addiction, co-dependency, betrayed, happy, impressed, inspired, depressed, challenged, proving something, care for another person, unconditional love, hurt, memories.

::Opens at a funeral. Everyone is dressed in black except a man dressed all in white from head to toe, wearing white-rimmed sunglasses and his hair slicked back in a pony tail::
(young man's mother just died. he's devasted, but does his best not to show it to be strong for his little sister and because the girl who he has a huge crush on is there)...

and that's all I have for tonight. To the reader, this brainstorming is confusing, but I was just typing whatever came to my head. Maybe I'll use what's written down, maybe I won't, but for sure the play won't take place in Ancient Rome =P These are just possibliities. I hope to finish the first draft by June 30th. Wish me the best of luck =)