As I sit here at Tony Boy Tran’s grandparent’s house writing my first "blog" (or a better choice of words would be an insight to the life of steve forton), I begin to wonder about the innocence of youth and how far we’ve come since then. As people gradually become older and experience new things, we mature. Now I see this as a good thing: understanding that there’s a time and place for everything, but I begin to wonder…
We all remember traces of our youth, no matter how vaguely. Whether it be good or bad, we retain these memories. I start to think about my youth, and how different it is to other people’s, and I begin to wonder…
Did I grow up the same way as the people I associate myself with? Was I given more opportunities than most other kids? Did I take advantage of those opportunities? Were my parents stricter than most? Can I relate to people with really strict parents? Do I think I can do better? I begin to wonder…
I’m very fortunate to grow up in the house that I did. I was never hungry, always had a bed, and had toys to play with. My parents always told me they loved me and they supported me and took an active role in my education. They would grade my homework when I finished and told me what to correct. I wonder if other kids’ parents took as active a role in making sure I succeeded as mine did. Do parents just throw their kids out there without at least trying to make sure that they’re doing well?
When I was nine years old, I finally got enough courage to join baseball. At first I had always been afraid of trying out and afraid of not getting picked to be on a team. Fear of rejection has been a habit in my life as well as in many other’s. My parents supported me playing baseball. My dad would work with me in the backyard on my batting and throwing. They joined the booster clubs and the board of directors. They just wanted to be involved. I find it frustrating and sad when I see parents that don’t want to be involved in their children’s lives. On the off-hand, I also understand when the children feel that they don’t want their parent in their lives. They feel like it’s overbearing. I understand that feeling, but now I know better. I know that my parents have made these sacrifices to be part of my life and to watch me succeed. It hasn’t been until now that I’ve fully appreciated it and realized how far I’ve gotten with them. I have started asking my mom for help on my college essays, and she is the greatest resource I have.
What I’m saying is that don’t be in too much of a hurry to get out. Enjoy it while you can, take advantage of the good things your parents offer you. And if they don’t do these things with you, it’s not too late to start this relationship with your parents. Maybe all they need is to be asked to be part of your life. Maybe they’re such a great part, and you don’t even know it.
I woke up and bummed it all day today. Watched “3:10 to Yuma” (good movie, though I did not expect Christian Bale’s character to be like he was. Russell Crowe was excellent like always) and part of “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.” It’s my mission to watch all the Indiana movies before the new one comes out this month. Then we went out to eat with my grandma and mom for Mother’s Day at the Ruby’s Chinese place. I’m not a big fan of Chinese food, but when I left that place, I was stuffed. THEY GIVE YOU SO MUCH FOOD! Then off I went to Tony’s grandparent’s house to have the best time playing fighting games with Tony and Law and making fun of Tony’s 6-year-old cousin. =P Then we finished it off with some counter strike! Overall a good day today and a good first blog.
Note to self: Stay Genuine.