Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas, Should I Go All In?

I haven't posted in awhile. I just don't really feel the urge to write everything down at the moment even though I have a million things going on in my head. I think part of that is because I'm getting closer to people. From experience, the closer I get to people, the more likely I am to get hurt, and over time I have started to instinctively close my feelings and avoid "going all in" or letting myself be vulnerable. Writing this blog makes me very vulnerable. EVERYONE gets to see what I'm feeling/thinking/writing/doing/etc, and it literally makes my life an open book. I like that, but right now I'm just focusing on one thing: not to put myself in a position to be hurt again.

We all know relationships are awesome, but we also know that very few things can hurt you as much as a relationship. There have been times where I've been cheated on, times where the other person has stopped talking to me without the slightest clue of what's going on, and there's been times of people feeling the same insecurities of not wanting to get hurt, so they hurt the other person instead. The pattern reminds me of the worst feeling a video game can give you. That's right, I'm going to compare my relationships to a video game ;) It's like you've been playing the game for a couple of days, countless amounts of hours spending your time with this game (and opening your heart to the other person and letting them know all about you). One day you're playing your favorite game and you're almost at the end, then all of a sudden, the screen goes black. You turn back on your system only to find out that the save data has been corrupted, or overwritten. You have to start all over. All that hard work, all of those hours gone because of a fault in the system. It wasn't your fault, you were playing it and having fun and had a good thing going. But the game just broke down one day and you were screwed. Do you really want to spend ALL of that time playing through a game again, letting the other person get to know you, and all of the hard work that comes along with it?

You see, that's where I'm on the fence. I want to play the game right now, but I have this urge to try not to get very far. I feel like I'm starting a game of GTA and just stealing cars and running over pedestrians and trying to get a five-star wanted level instead of completing the missions and getting farther in the game (if you know what I mean). I'm also curious. Curious to see how the game is going to end. Is it going to be a happy ending, or is the game gonna crash again?

Everything I know right now, the game is super chill ;) Probably one of the coolest "games" I've met. Wow, that sounds pretty bad; almost like I'm "playin" the game =P But that's not what I mean at all. I'm just using analogies ;) But I don't want to rush this game.

Now that all the mushy stuff is out of the way...BOO YAH! I got a camera, and I'm loving it. Taking pictures at Disneyland is so relaxing. I haven't won a photo challenge on Flickr yet with my new camera, but I just won one with my camcorder camera today. The theme was "WARM" and I put up one of the pictures of a sunflower I took in the summer, with the Cal Adventure sun in the background. It was my third win! I'm catching up to Tony (not!).

Christmas was fun. We went to Christmas Eve mass at St. Columban because I had family coming over later that night, and I didn't want to leave them to go to LMU mass. Mass was awesome and very well done with the children serving as the choir, readers, and altar servers. The funniest thing happened at the beginning of mass. The kids were singing "The First Noel" and these two little first grade girls were in the front row shaking these bells that were way too big for them. You could see them wobbling their heads and shaking the bells as hard as the could with two hands while singing "thaahhaah feeerrreeerrrrst noooeeooel..." You could see them get tired and switch hands and look at each other like "what did we get ourselves into." It was the cutest thing ever, and really set the tone for the rest of the mass. I was happy to be there, and celebrating and enjoying all the great things God has placed in my life, and thanking Him for sending His Son down to be a living example of perfection placed in a setting where everything was far from perfect. He was born in a stable filled with stinky pigs and hens and sheep and other animals that were probably going to be served for dinner later.

Sometimes we worry about everything being perfect. We want everything to be the right place, the right time, no flaws, smooth, whatever. But Jesus shows us that imperfection is okay. The best things can come out of imperfect situations.

Christmas day was good too, minus a couple of things that made me angry, but I just shrugged it off and had a great day with my family. The gifts my parents got me made me laugh. There were things like Baileys, bottle openers, a breathalizer, wine, and a couple video games. I was thinking, man I look like an alcoholic gamer ;)

Went to Club Bang again on Saturday night with Scuba, Shannon, and her two friends. I'm sure EVERYONE had a great time, although I think they were all feeling the pain from dancing all night in the morning. I was perfectly fine, I'm used to that craziness ;)

Merry belated Christmas everyone, and a happy new year. This has been one heckuva year, and I'm sure the next one is going to get even crazier.

SUN flower