Last night was great. I learned. I was humbled. I had great food. I had fun. It was really great to end the week on this note, going out to Irvine the last 3 days really lifted my spirits.
I went to the Medical Mission PUSO Gala with Charmaine, Mark and Charlene last night. Charmaine was my date and we had a great time. I did not expect the Gala to be what it was. I actually thought there was going to be a lot more dancing than there was, but it ended up still being great. Italian buffet was, hands down, victorious over my stomach. One of the highlights of the night was talking to Andrew (he was one of the recipients of the scholarship last year to go to the Philipines bringing medical supplies and help assist with a medical group) after the Gala. It was great to hear his experiences and how humbling it was, and even better seeing the fun side to him later. Spending the night rapping with Charmaine, Charlene, and Mark will be unforgettable. Mark took good care of me and gave me a place to stay that night. His hospitality is so great that it inspires me. Next time someone stays over at my place, I'm going to try to emulate Mark's hospitality as best as I can because I really felt welcomed there. As they say "Pay it forward."
Pay it forward: I learned what that meant for the first time last night, and I think it's a great concept. You should always respond to the love you receive by giving it back to others.
Today was good, getting homework done and eating at St. Polycarp for our feast day today until I came home. I was doing homework then my parents came back from mass. My mom started yelling at me to vacuum the house (which wasn't dirty), then told me to go pack my stuff and go live someplace else. The whole time I was telling her to calm down and that it could wait a few minutes, all the while doing homework, jeez. Things could have escalated, but I apologized to her, even though I didn't do anything wrong, to set balance to our worlds. I've realized that I'm called to do that a lot. I guess it comes from not being stubborn. When someone has a problem with me, and I have not done anything wrong, I end up apologizing for nothing to set things right in the universe. It seems that my feelings aren't really taken into context, and I have to humble myself for the sake of other people to still feel good about themselves. Just remember, I have feelings too, and just because I don't act in rage upon them, doesn't make them hurt any less. I wonder if the iPhone has an app for that too.