Friday, June 18, 2010

Think Toy Story 3

I often wonder what my life would be like had I lived in the 50s or some other obscure time, then I realize that I probably wouldn't have seen awesome movies like "Toy Story 3" and appreciate the time I live in.

If you're hungry, then eat a sandwich. If you're thirsty, then drink some water. If you're looking for a story of love and life, a story of holding on and letting go, a chance to relive your childhood and say goodbye to the things you hold most dear, then go watch "Toy Story 3," and you will walk away filled with satisfaction. Not unlike watching "World of Color" for the first time, I cannot help but remain in awe after watching this movie. At first when I heard they were making a third "Toy Story," I had my doubts. I wondered if they could ever top the previous two, and what else they could accomplish and fit into a fresh story. Not only did this movie surpass my expectations, but it got me to think as well.

Pixar is one of the few companies that recognizes its magnitude and its social responsibility to initiate change and affect the world in a positive way. They know that millions upon millions of people will watch their films based on successful track records, and that they have a captive audience that they can portray a message to. For example, "Wall-E" takes a shot at pollution and a possible future we can look forward to if we continue wasteful ways. "Up" focused on loyalty, friendship, and following your dreams as well as helping the elderly on their eccentric adventures. "Toy Story 3" made me think about the digital age of technology and how pervasive it is in our lives. The movie made me think about the things we take for granted, the feelings of our parents, and how hard it is to just let go. I'm sure everyone will take something different away from the movie, and I don't plan on spoiling such a great movie for you, but a few early scenes that the character "Andy" played in made me realize that I don't show much appreciation to the world around me and especially to my parents. When a movie makes you think like that, then it has definitely answered its call to social responsibility.

Move over "Avatar," you have been replaced by "Toy Story 3" as my favorite current movie, and I can't see anything topping Pixar's masterpiece any time soon.

Oh yeah, the Lakers won and some of their fans tried to destroy the city.
(I was only going to put the above sentence, but it was such a good game it deserves to be in this blog.) Ron Artest stepped up and showed why he is my favorite player and also why he's not my favorite interviewer. I predict that the saying "I would like to thank my psychiatrist," will be an internet meme by the end of the week. In my mind, Ron Artest is the Game 7 MVP, and the Lakers would not have won this championship without him. Trevor Ariza is still one of my favorites, but he's definitely been replaced by Ron Ron.