Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spontaneous Inspiration

Believe it or not, I was inspired today from the least likely of all places: my friend Clarisse. I often consider myself an anomaly when it comes to academics. School comes easy for me naturally, so I don't try too hard for most classes. I feel like I have an advantage compared to my peers who I often see struggling to finish work and pulling all-nighters to study for a test the next day (I studied two hours before a test today, and in all likelihood I got nothing less than a solid B). However, today I found out that I'm not alone, but from a person very different from me. My friend gets IT. School comes easy to her AND she is highly self-motivated. These two traits combined add up to the perfect academic (she might even finish school with a Major+Minor in 3 years). Just seeing how motivated and directed she is with what she wants to do in life inspires me. It reminds me that I'm not giving my best shot, and I could be so much better if I did. I've always settled for mediocrity because I've been afraid of greatness. I've experienced moments of greatness, but I've never had the motivation to seize it for good. Mad props to Clarisse for having such positive character traits, realizing her gifts, and carpe diem-ing the shit out of them. =P

I think I might be a little too demanding to want everyone to be more spontaneous, but sometimes I feel like people don't go out and do things because they don't want to mess up their routine. Sometimes I'll invite friends to go on a spontaneous adventure, but they'll decline and say that they're busy when we both know they're going to go home and chill on Facebook and read other people's blogs. The most random of a situation can end up turning out to be a memorable moment in your life because you "seized the day" ("carpe diem" is the word of the day folks). When adventures are planned, sometimes they can be over-planned and fall short or be over-hyped. You just got to live life as it flies by.