It started last night when my friend, Juria, invited me to go to DTF (Downtown Fullerton). We've been trying to get together for awhile now, but things have never seemed to fall into place. I thought, why not, and then proceeded to hit up some other friends in the area to see if they would want to kick it too. Surprisingly, I had two other groups of friends that were down to go, and we all ended up meeting up at different parts of the night. I met up with Juria and her friend Jenny at Slidebar first before heading over to this place called "Envy." Things were looking good, cute girls, dancing bar, and we even knew the bouncer, Joel! When things are too good to be true, they usually are, and Scuba and I weren't allowed in because of dress code (I only had to turn my hat around, but Scuba was wearing shorts and sandals). Not one to turn down an opportunity though, I proceeded to do one of the most pimpin' things of my life and got Joel to let the girls in through the front of the line. They were pretty stoked that they didn't have to wait the whole time to meet up with their friends in there, and I'm pretty sure I got a thousand-plus points for that move. ;)
Things couldn't have worked out more perfect because ditching the girls allowed Scuba and I to meet up with my friend from Fullerton, Mica, and her husband, Joe. We went over to a chill Irish Pub and catch up. None of you have probably ever met Mica, but if you do, you would be friends with her in a heartbeat. I swear, I don't think I've met anyone who can make friends with a total stranger as fast as her. Things are never awkward around her, and she can have a solid conversation with just about anyone. Heck, she even bought me a beer when she doesn't even drink alcohol herself. Things had to be cut short cause they were tired, and Joe had just got back from Japan where he got to test drive some of the new hybrid cars for the auto magazine he works for. Once again, things couldn't have worked out better, and this allowed for us to meet up with my friend from Cypress College, Masa at Continental. They seemed to be tired from dancing it up, and things were cut short, but we were able to reunite and end the night with Juria and her friends. Hands down, it was great times catching up with three of the coolest chicks I know who can carry a conversation better than just about anyone.
Continuing with the reuniting theme, today was also the "rebirth" of Guiding Light. The youth group of my personal youth had been MIA ("missing in action," not the overpowered team in Florida) since last summer. While I was hoping for more of a change in direction than I had previously seen, there was still something refreshing in the familiarity of it all. The theme was "greed," which I compared to being a synonym to "selfishness." After reflecting on the concept during mass, I would have to change my answer. Selfishness is not always a bad thing. Sometimes we need to be a little selfish in order to make good things happen for ourselves as well as for others. It can be argued that God himself was being selfish in creating man with a capacity to love Him. Selfishness isn't always bad, but "greed" is desiring more than you need of something. The gospel reading today was of a man who wanted to tear down his barn and build a bigger one so that he could hoard more harvest. Jesus chastised the man in the parable saying:
"20 But God said to him, `Fool! This night your soul is required of you; and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?'
21 So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."
We don't have to have more than we need because God isn't going to judge us on our new iPhone 4 when we get to the gates of heaven.
We got to end the night with some good food at Asian Timmy's house, and I got to play with his baby sister who has a love/hate relationship with me =P





Mike also asked me to be "historian" for the GL. I don't know much about history, but be prepared for a lot of "living history" photos on the blog from here on out. =)