Monday, April 19, 2010

Kick Ass Club Scout

I'm afraid of the words that might come out of my mouth. I think that's why I haven't been blogging as much.

Every time I blog, I say something about not blogging enough, but in reality, the only thing that's stopping me from blogging is my readers. Sometimes I feel like they shouldn't know that particular thought that has come into my head, but at the same time, the fact that they're reading inspires me to write even more. Catch-22? I think so.

This week is COMM Week. A year ago I took the step from passively looking at my future to actively determining it. I have since matured as a person and have taken major steps in the direction of my career. I may still be searching, but it's an active search, and I'm going in the right direction: entertainment. I may have warped, unrealistic views of fame and fortune, but if you don't set your sights high, then how do you expect to ever get there?

I'm becoming intrigued by someone recently. "Intrigued" is an interesting word to describe this feeling. I don't say "like" or "interested in developing a relationship with this person," but I am intrigued how things with this person might go if we got together. "Intrigued," I like that.

I took my sister to see "Kick Ass" last night. Scuba, Tony, and friend came, and it was chill times. The movie was not what I was expecting, but anything you read next will ruin the movie for you. *SPOILER ALERT!* If you plan on watching the movie, do not read the rest of this paragraph and skip to the next one. You've been warned =P The movie was hecka gruesome. It seemed like they wanted to do what superhero movies do not generally have the "balls" to do. I would expect nothing less from Lionsgate, the studio that pushes the envelope farther than any major would ever imagine. Lionsgate really is the future of independent studios. I feel that sometime in the next 15 years, Lionsgate will either be out of business because the major studios have adapted and started taking risks too, or Lionsgate will become a major studio and change the way films are produced and distributed. Anyway, back to "Kick Ass." I was not expecting a little girl to cut grown men's legs off and stab them in the hearts with a knife. I did not expect brutal beat downs and gun shots to the face. This movie made "Kill Bill" look like Barney, and they tried to make the over-the-top gore become the focal point of the comedy. It works for some, but I know that others will be extremely turned off by it. I think "Kick Ass" has the makings of a movie that people will either love or hate. Also, Nicholas Cage does an awesome job in the movie, and I didn't even know he was in it.

I always enjoy going to Interfaith mass and listening to Fr. John Francis' homilies. Those UCI kids don't realize how good they've got it to have a priest who cares about their community, knows what he's talking about, and can relate it to them as much as Fr. John Francis. Some say they can't understand him because of his accent, and I invite them to come visit Garden Grove for the weekend, which makes Fr. JF sound more American than Mr. Rogers from Mr. Rogers' neighborhood (was that guy really a secret agent as rumors have suggested?).

Goodnight everyone. I'm excited for this week, for COMM, for film editing, for no class, for Comedy.com, for basketball, for St. Frances Xavier Cabrini family meeting, and for a lot of things.

I created a new term last night. I call it "Club Scout" or "Club Scouting." It's the action of going to a club not to really have over-the-top fun and to pick up girls, etc., but to check out the club, dance a bit, and decide if this is the type of place you would want to show off to your friends. I guess it's like clubbing, but severely lowering your expectations in order to review a night club. My friend Mark Estrada said I should start up a website and post all the reviews on it. I think that would be awesome, and if it got popular enough, would be a way to get me into any club I wanted for free as a "Club Scout." Great idea Steve, you're a genius! =)