What is my "true self?" I have been trying to find an answer for this since the GL young adult meeting at Andrew's house tonight and have yet to come up with an adequate answer. The theme of the night dealt with the issue of living our lives under the context of a "false self," or "the temptation to be someone other than the unique person God created (us) to be."
The opening paragraphs of the text we read provided basis for reflection on our false selves whereas the second part of the text was there to help one find answers to finding his or her true self. The problem for me was that the second half only brought to light more questions of my false self without bringing me any closer to understanding how to reach my "true self."
Lost? So am I.
I don't like formal conversations with big words and restrictive seriousness. I like my words to be as informal and free-flowing as that of this blog post. I feel uncomfortable searching for the "right words" to express how I feel rather than just talking stream of consciousness. Unfortunately, communication doesn't work this way. Speaking stream of consciously feels better to the individual, but it's very hard to follow as a listener.
That brings me to my next point: Understanding the true self within the context of intercultural and inter-religious communication.
A lot of my friends shared that they find it hard to be their true self when they have the constant pressure of the people around them telling them who they should be. The dynamics of our society allow conflicting messages to constantly bombard us in our daily lives. We have our parents, our teachers, our friends, our bosses, our coworkers, advertisers, politicians, and even the Church telling us what is right and what is wrong. They tell us who we should be and who we shouldn't be. They give us conflicting messages for what's acceptable and what is not acceptable, and we are left to discern on our own what is right or wrong. It's much easier to forgo discernment and accept what we are told rather than put in the effort to shuffle through all the confusion.
Aaaaargh! I'm going to try once again to make sense of all this.
We live in a world that sends us mixed messages. It is up to us to decide who we are. Jesus tells us to LOVE, and this text tells us to contemplate.
The reality of the world is that we can't live one way and hope to be accepted by all. Our choices are to live one way and alienate many, or live a diverse life and alienate a few. So what it ends up coming down to are our PRINCIPLES.
What are my principles? Treat others as I would like to be treated. Love and respect others. Understand that I have no control over other people's actions, but that I can provide an ear to listen and an example to follow. I will not stand for people being bullied or actions influenced by anger/hatred/jealousy. I will not take advantage of unsuspecting people nor stand to see people unsuspectingly being taken advantage of.
As of yet, I feel like I'm still no closer to understanding my true self though. What is my true self?
I am a listener. I am a voice. I stand for equality and the empowerment of others. I desire for a better life for myself and those around me...
Maybe that's it. Maybe my desire for a better life for those around me leads me to my "false self." What if those around me are happy with their life? It's not up to me to improve their situation because it's only up to them. I need to understand that I have no control over the lives of others. Yes, I desire for them to be able to fit me into their lives and vice versa, but I have no control over how they choose to live their lives.
I guess my real self, my true self is to be a good person no matter what is going on around me. It should not matter if I'm an advertiser who's job is to tell people what they should want in life, or if I'm a bird and all I do every morning is sing and fly; my job is to be the best person to myself, to God, and to others that I can be. I must listen to God and do what he asks of me. I cannot have expectations for others, only for myself, and I expect myself to be a good person, a good listener, and a servant of God.