If you're not having fun, then why are you in it?
I always have thought (and I will always continue to do so) that relationships are meant for two people to grow together. However, I have been thinking far too basic and serious (couldn't think of a better synonym for the two words besides something that ends in -ical) as opposed to broadening my views on relationships.
Like my fav said (although not directed at me), "We're not getting married, so why shouldn't we be having fun? Relationships are supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, then why are we doing this?"
This is true, and part of the fun is being able to open yourself up to another person. To let someone see who you truly are is an adventure in of itself. I mean, roller coasters were made for thrill seekers. A relationship without the thrills is rather dumb, don't you think?
Here's the thing: you could sit back and do nothing while continuing to feel the most unbearable pain imaginable, or you could stand up, lay your cards on the table and see if the other person is willing to show their cards too. As everyone knows, card games can be a lot of fun.